EMDR Center of the Rockies
EMDR Basic Training Participant Agreement
The undersigned participant acknowledges that she or he has thoroughly and carefully read, understands, and agrees to the following:
1. EMDR is widely recognized as an empirically supported treatment for PTSD and Acute Stress Disorder. Its safety and efficacy for other clinical applications have yet to be adequately evaluated by controlled research. The cautions described in the published literature and in the EMDR Center of the Rockies basic training are based primarily on anecdotal reports by trained clinicians.
2. All participants must be licensed to independently practice psychotherapy in a discipline recognized by EMDRIA. Or, if not licensed, participants must have completed masters level coursework in a mental health or a related discipline recognized by EMDRIA, must currently be in a licensing track and must be supervised by a licensed clinician with the appropriate letter(s) on file. The letter from the licensed, supervising clinician must be sent to the EMDR Center of the Rockies office, must indicate that you have clinical privileges to practice psychotherapy under supervision, and should endorse you to participate in EMDR training.
3. All participants must have cases in their practice with whom they can utilize the EMDR skills taught in the training. This training is designed to help participants integrate the use of EMDR in their current clinical setting. This training program is not intended for managers and researchers who do not carry an active psychotherapy caseload.
4. A significant component of the training involves clinicians practicing EMDR and related procedures in small groups under the supervision of the instructor or a qualified staff member. These practice experiences are for training purposes only and not for personal therapy. All participants should be prepared to address disturbing real life experiences as part of this training program in order to appreciate the subjective experience of EMDR as a client would and to provide valid training experiences for other participants. It is not unusual for a target memory to be linked to other, unexpected, disturbing memories or material, which might surface during or after the practice sessions. Trauma-related case material presented didactically, in consultation sessions, or on video may be disturbing to those with unresolved personal issues. In submitting their application for training, participants affirm that they have developed appropriate self-soothing and affect/arousal management skills to cope with exposure to this type of material and will be able to employ these skills as necessary during and following EMDR training, practice and consultation sessions.
5. Further, with reference to number 4 above:
a. Clinicians presently engaged in personal therapy and/or psychiatric treatment should inform their therapist and/or psychiatrist about all aspects of this training including the experiential component and secure their therapist’s and/or psychiatrist’s support to participate before beginning this training.
b. Those with limiting or special medical conditions (pregnancy, heart condition, ocular difficulties, etc.) should consult their medical professionals before participating in this training and should discuss their condition(s) with the training director in advance of submitting their application to participate in the training.
c. Those who presently have a dissociative disorder, acute or chronic PTSD, GAD, panic disorder, substance use disorder, personality disorder, or affective disorder should not participate without special arrangements being made with the training director as part of the application for registration. Failure to advise the training director of such issues in advance could place you at risk, negatively impact other participants, and result in dismissal from the training without refund. Participants who are disruptive to the training will be given one warning by the training director and will be dismissed without refund if there is a recurrence. You are expected to maintain a spirit of cooperation and mutual support for all in the training. Splitting and conflict-generating behavior will not be tolerated. You agree that the training director has the right to dismiss anyone who is disruptive from the training at any time without refund.
d. By signing this agreement, you acknowledge the risks of participating in the training and agree that none of EMDR Center of the Rockies (including its officers, directors, members and employees), the training director or any other participant in the training shall be liable for any adverse effect on you arising out of or related to your participation in the training.
6. The reprocessing of targeted incidents during practicum sessions may lead to the
emergence of other disturbing memories during and after the practicum. It is the responsibility of the participant to seek, obtain and pay for appropriate professional assistance if needed. Providing such assistance is not part of the training and will not be provided by the EMDR Center of the Rockies training director or staff. Clinicians who elect to do personal EMDR work can find lists of EMDR trained clinicians through www.EMDRIA.org.
7. This experiential training is intended to prepare clinicians to apply EMDR for clinical
purposes only and will not qualify the participant to train others in EMDR. Attempts to train others in EMDR without meeting the standards as defined by the EMDR International Association would represent a violation of professional ethics and standards.
8. In order to assure confidentiality of personal and clinical information, audio/video recording by participants is not allowed. It is expected that all participants shall maintain the highest ethical standards of confidentiality regarding all personal and clinical information shared by others in this training. Failure to maintain confidentiality shall be treated as a professional ethics issue, and may result in immediate dismissal from the training program with no refund. Confidentiality shall apply to all consultation sessions and practicum experiences: specifics may be discussed only with members of the immediate consultation or practice group, the participant’s group consultant, practicum supervisor and trainer(s). In addition, a participant may share his or her own emerging material with a private therapist.
9. Participants agree to obtain written consent for the release of (non-identifying) information from each client prior to presenting case material during group consultation sessions. Participants agree to keep a completed written release form in each client’s chart about whom they disclose any case material. Participants agree to avoid disclosure of client’s names or other identifying information in making verbal presentations and in sharing written documentation of client sessions.
10. Participants agree to read in their entirety and thoroughly study portions of both Shapiro, F. (2001). Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, Basic Principles, Protocols and Procedures (2nd ed.). New York: The Guilford Press and Leeds, A. M. (2009). A Guide to the Standard EMDR Protocols for Clinicians, Supervisors, and Consultants. New York: Springer Publishing. Participants must pay for these study materials in addition to the course tuition fee.
Participants will be provided one copy of the course manual. A fee of approximately $65 will be charged for replacement copies of all or any portion of the course manual.
11. A Certificate of Completion will be issued to all participants who satisfactorily complete the entire training, complete the assigned readings, and demonstrate through group discussion, practice exercises and consultation, an understanding of the EMDR treatment approach. Note: for consultation sessions participants are required: 1) to prepare a written summary about their actual clinical use of specific procedures; and 2) to complete and discuss structured self-evaluations forms about their actual clinical experiences. Participants are expected to participate actively and to work diligently.
3 ways to pay:
One time payment in full at time of enrollment: $1150
Deposit of $250 at time of enrollment. $900 balance due 4 weeks prior to start of training. $1150 Total.
Deposit of $250 at time of enrollment. Then, payment plan of 3 payments of $315 each, due prior to start of 3rd module. $1195 Total.
Pricing includes all consultation hours that are required for completion of Basic Training (and the consultation takes place while at the training.) If on payment plan, and for some reason you are unable to complete the training, the balance is due in full at time of withdrawal from current training, even if training completion is rolled over to later training dates. If enrollment is rolled over to later training date, additional fees may apply. Space is limited in trainings so as to maintain small breakout consultation groups. This ensures that participants receive individual attention and time for questions and processing. Participants must be present for all training weekends in their entirety, including practice and consultation time, in order to receive credit for their attendance. By completing this program, clinicians can join and register with EMDRIA to be listed on their website. Completion of the program does not constitute Certification as an EMDR therapist. To become certified, clinicians must continue their consultation and education. For more details visit EMDRIA’s website at: http://www.emdria.org/
13. Cancellation policy: Tuition may be refunded, less a $100 administrative fee, for cancellations made up to two weeks prior to the first day of training. Within the two-week window prior to the start of training, and after beginning the training, no refunds will be made. Registrants that partially attend the training, or do not complete the training will not receive a refund and cannot transfer their attendance to another training. In the event that EMDR Center of the Rockies needs to cancel the training, participants will be notified by one week prior to the training and full tuition will be refunded.
14. Attendance Policy:Participant must attend all training days and actively participate in all supervised practice exercises and group consultation sessions in order to receive a certificate of completion for this training. Those who attend this workshop in full, meet the conditions in paragraph 11, above, and complete all the appropriate evaluation forms will receive CE credits. Those arriving more than 15 minutes after the start time or leaving more than 15 minutes before the workshop is completed will not receive CE credits.
15. Weather Policy:There might be times when there is severe weather near the training setting, such as a blizzard. However, if roads are open, we will hold the training. It is the responsibility of participants in this EMDR training, including those who travel from out of state, to plan ahead and make appropriate travel arrangements, including the use of nearby hotels so that you can be available for the training. If the training is cancelled by EMDR Center of the Rockies due adverse weather, a make-up training session will be scheduled for any modules impacted by the cancellation. No refunds will be provided for any weather-related cancellation.
16. Make-Up Policy. If for any reason, you are not able to attend all four modules of the training, there is a fee of $200 (per module) to move you into another module of a subsequent training to complete the work. Please note that all modules must be completed sequentially. If you need to complete multiple modules of the training with a different group, the additional fee of $200 is per module, up to two modules. This fee accounts for items not limited to, but such as, administrative costs, additional consultation costs, cost for physical space in the training. If you need to make-up more than two modules at a subsequent session, you will be required to submit a new registration for the subsequent training and pay 75% of the full cost for that training. Any move to another module or training would be contingent upon there being space available in that training. No refunds will be provided to any participant who is unable to attend all or any module of a training.